In 1321 King Robert Bruce granted the lands of Sauchie to Henri de Annand, Sheriff of Clackmannan. Mary de Annand, his descendant, married Sir James Schaw of Greenock in 1431. He probably built Sauchie Tower soon afterwards. The Schaw family was very influential and in c1460 Sir James’ son became Governor of Stirling Castle. The tower complex included an outer wall on at least two sides, a cobbled courtyard and a large hall with kitchen and bread oven, contemporary with the tower or perhaps built c1460, as the family needed to entertain on a grander scale.
No entries were found.