Formerly a grand 17th century house, the former lordly estate now acts as an attractive woodland park that cuts through some of Clackmannanshire’s finest scenery.
The Ochil Hills lie north of the Forth valley, straddling Stirling, Alloa, Kinross and Perth. Located near the Wood Hill, between Alva and Tilicoultry, the park is now all that remains of Alva House’s grounds.
Alva House was once home to the Erskine family and it dates back to 1636. Eventually sold to the Johnstone family in the late 18th century, it was rebuilt as a mansion by Robert Adam in 1789. It was further extended in 1820, but when the last of the Johnstones died in the 1920s no new buyer could be found. The house collapsed during World War II.
The old 19th century stable block was designed by architect William Stirling and has now been transformed into a visitor centre for the park, which houses exhibits detailing the formation of the Ochil Hills and the history of Alva House.
The estate offers many woodland walking routes, while display boards provide information on Alva House.
There is also a paper-based trail, which you can download here